Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A LOT can happen in a week

Last week Michael and I served on staff at AFFIRM 2009. AFFIRM is a week long annual summer camp for youth in the Southeastern Synod of the ELCA. Michael and I met at AFFIRM '92; we danced with each other at the dance that year. I attended AFFIRM as a participant for 6 years, and have been back as a member of the staff 8 years and as a visitor once (the summer after DJ was born, Michael was the assistant director and I tagged along).

There is so much to tell about AFFIRM that I could go on for days, but I'll spare you. I will say that after overcoming a few hurdles during the beginning of the week, last week was the best experience I have ever had at AFFIRM [and no, I don't say that every year]. I was on the staff of Worshiptivity, which is the group responsible for planning worship for all 250+ youth and 80+ staff. We only had six youth in our group this year, but they were AWESOME!!! They worked hard, were willing to do anything they were asked (most of the time), gave up some of their free time to get extra stuff done, and totally rocked worship!

One image we like to use on staff is that of planting seeds. During the time we spend with our youth at AFFIRM, seeds of God's love and grace are planted. We might not see the fruits of our labor during that week, but lives are changed. We may never see the youth "get it," but we know that in God's time His seeds will flourish.

So speaking of flourishing seeds, we picked this beauty the day before leaving for AFFIRM. We weren't able to eat it, so I took it and gave it to my mom.


Then we came home to all this:

A gigantic cucumber on the vine.
The same cucumber in my hand.
Three large squash on their bush (and one small one).
An enormous zucchini.
Our first harvest.
See what I mean, a LOT can happen in a week. Lives are changed and produce explodes.

Sweet wishes!

No comments: