Saturday, November 29, 2008

What do I do with THIS??? - punches

When I uploaded my pictures from my rub-ons class last week, I realized that I had never posted pictures from my punch art class back in October. (Boy, we really did miss a lot that month.) Anyway, here they are.

First of all, I had a scrapbooking workshop the night before my punches class. When I was coming up with ideas for the punch class there were, of course, WAY too many to feature in one class, so I used a few of them at my workshop (which also allowed me to have more samples for my class the next day).

Even though the workshop was a scrapbooking themed one, the mother of the hostess is a card maker, so all of the make-n-takes featured a card or scrapbook version. This ice cream cone was made using the scallop circle punch, the tag punch for the cone with some edges cut away, and the 1/2" circle punch for the cherry on top. And the guests could choose to make a scrapbook element or a card with the pieces provided.

The hostess had specifically asked for a Halloween project, and there were SO MANY cute punch art ideas out there, I decided to offer as many as I could. I made both of the following samples prior to the workshop and just helped the guests figure out how to make the designs they chose.
They were given a 12" strip, and could put 7 images in a row, or we cut the strip into 2-5" lengths and 1-2" length to be used on a card front.

Now on to the projects we made at the class. First was this adorable card by Diane Tritz. Diane is a dear stamping buddy of mine, and she came up with this card for a shoebox swap she participated in at Convention. Since I was lucky enough to be her roommate, she let me make my own (after I finished helping her prepare for the swap, of course). ;)
I cannot believe I've been hoarding all these ideas since convention! The hula girl and over all layout for the card below were also ideas I got from convention. There was a lady in the lobby of our hotel who had a card with this adorable hula girl hanging from the side of her swap carrier. I took three different pictures of the thing and they all turned out blurry. So, I went over to Splitcoaststampers to try and find a clearer picture of the hula girl, and guess where she originated from? Another stamping buddy of mine, Amanda Coughlin, via yet another buddy, Sam Parisi. And now that I've just revisited their blogs to get the links to provide to you, I've found even more punch art ideas to share in the future! These ladies have earned the title The Queens of Punch Art in my book!!! But I couldn't stop with just the hula girl, so I found some samples of castles made with the spiral punch (which everyone at my class received as a part of the class fee). And I included Sam's too-cute-for-words mermaid on my sample sheet below.
Our final project was these envelop pouches featuring a retired wheel (but that was all I had, and I got my students permission to use it first), and the cutest-ever spider using the scallop circle, 1/4" & 1/8" circle, and photo corner punches to create the spider, and the tag punch to create the pouch.
Because I just couldn't include every idea out there, and there were some I HAD to share right away, I made this punch art sample sheet. Some of the ideas came from memory_lane on SCS. Click on her name to go to her gallery, and then click on Punch Display Sheets for TONS of ideas (she's a Queen of Punch Art too). And the Lego idea came from this page by taratravis.

Sweet wishes!

No comments: