Thursday, April 2, 2009

Now on to March events

Yesterday I posted the projects from my last stampin' event in February. My first SU! event for March was Terry's workshop. Back in July of '08, I had my first workshop for a group of ladies who meet at a Methodist church in town twice a month to scrapbook. My friend Kathy was the hostess. Well, the ladies must have enjoyed themselves because two of them booked workshops to be held during their regular scrapbooking meeting time in September and November. Then in November Terry agreed to host in January; well, her husband ended up having to have surgery, so Kim stepped in and agreed to be the hostess, and Terry rescheduled to host in March. So this was my 5th workshop with this great group, and I knew I wanted to show them something new, but I also knew there would be guests who had never stamped before. I decided to focus the entire workshop on Sale-A-Bration (SAB) items.
I had been wanting to try the ribbon weaving technique ever since my friend and downline, Beth, featured this card on her blog. She found the tutorial for this technique over on Kristina Werner's blog; you can see it here.
I used the So Saffron grosgrain from the SAB ribbon bundle, the Delicate Dots DSP and the Polka Dot Punches stamp set, along with Bashful Blue, Certainly Celery, & So Saffron CS and ink, the 5-petal flower, word window, and 1/2" circle punches, and the Absolutely Fabulous stamp set.
For my next trick, I mean card, we used the classic combination of Perfect Plum, Pale Plum, and Very Vanilla with the Botanical Blooms SAB set. First we stamped the Vanilla grosgrain ribbon with Perfect Plum classic ink, stamped the background with both shades of plum, and then two-step-stamped the flower in the Designer Label punch Hodgepodge Hardware frame. I CASEd this idea by combining two different cards, one by Heather Hampton-Freeman, which she submitted to Stampin' Up!, and the other by "danadejeu" over on SCS.
My favorite SAB item this year was the Yummy stamp set. The image we used here coordinates perfectly with the Top Note bigz die. Simply cut out the Top Note using your Big Shot, fold it in half horizontally, stamp the image, and add ribbon to attach it to the jellybean-filled medium size cello bag. This ribbon was also from the SAB ribbon bundle. One important thing to note is that we tried punching the holes for the ribbon using the double rectangle punch...it did NOT work. Then my friend and newest member of my downline, Cheryl, asked why I hadn't used the Crop-A-Dile. Well, DUH!!! That thing punched through all the layers like a hot knife through butter. (I really don't like clichés much, but I certainly am using them a lot lately.)
The coolest thing about using the Top Note as a bag topper is that if you fold the Top Note in half vertically, it fits perfectly on the small size cello bags. I have a project using that idea coming soon!
Sweet wishes!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Love all your projects! The weaving looks fantastic and I never ever think to stamp on my ribbon-thanks for the reminder!