Friday, February 27, 2009

Bigger boxes from the Box #2 die-cont.

Yesterday, I shared how to take two Box #2s and make a longer box. Today, I'll show you how to make a taller box. It's much easier, actually. So why did I show you the more difficult one first? I have no idea. But if you figured it out, you'll definitely be able to do this one. ;)

FYI: my new friend, Jen, and I agree that you shouldn't try to make a box that is both wider and taller because the overall infrastructure would be weakened. (How's that for a music major mind trying to go all technical on you?)


Again, you start with two die cut boxes.








Trim the bottom off one and the top off the other. I think I used the score lines as guides.








Add sticky strip to the entire length of the top of your bottom piece (or to the bottom of your top piece, depending on which you want layered on the outside).






Stick the two layers together and fold all the score lines.








Decorate the outside of the box as desired, and assemble. Now I will warn you, where the two boxes overlap, the score lines tended to "fray" a little; they split more than I would have liked. When I added the DSP and made a crisp fold on all the score lines, it tore my DSP a little too. So for my final project, I added a strip of ribbon, which helps hide the seam in general, but covers up the "worn thin" CS/DSP too.


I used the Lots of Tags sizzlits (again) for the label-Kraft. I layered the Wide Oval punch over top-So Saffron, and added some Billboard Alphabet decorative strip letters-Certainly Celery. The DSP is the Delicate Dots from the SAB brochure and the ribbon is Bashful Blue 1/2" striped grosgrain ribbon.

Oh, and this box measures 3 3/4" x 3 1/2" which is the perfect size for a set of love notes & envelopes! I have at least one more tutorial to show with this box, so stay tuned...

Sweet wishes!

1 comment:

Twila said...

Pretty smart. Cute box also!