Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What do stamping and ironing have to do with each other?

Not a whole lot unless you are trying out the wax paper resist technique (click here for the tutorial on SCS) or the embossed wax paper resist technique (same idea with a twist--you dry emboss a design rather than crumpling up the paper). I gave both of these a try yesterday and had a blast. First I want to share with you the outfit AJ wore yesterday.

Of course I forgot to take a picture of her wearing the outfit, but I have two reasons for wanting to share it: 1) I used the colors from her shirt to create the card below, which is why I bought the shirt-I thought it would be a good color combo for a card. 2) See the bottom of her jeans? I STAMPED THAT!!!

Okay, first about the jeans~I used a sponge brush to cover the flowers from Inspired by Nature with white acrylic paint. I used the stuff that goes on sale for 3 bottles for $1.00, or something like that. Whenever you are stamping on fabric, you want to wash it and dry it first. I "inked" and stamped it 3 times using the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig. Then after it had dried over night, I tossed the jeans in the dryer on high heat for 30 minutes to heat set the image.

Now for the card~the color combo is Night of Navy, Pixie Pink, Tempting Turquoise & Green Galore (although the shirt may more closely resemble Kiwi Kiss, but AJ was napping when I made the card, so I didn't have a visual reference). I used the wax paper resist technique for the background, and I created the pink scalloped mat using my scallop border punch.

The next card is the result of yesterday's Technique Lovers Challenge over at SCS and Patty Bennett's influence. If you haven't seen them already, you simply must check out Patty's recent blog entries featuring her beautiful roses--real roses from her garden and paper crafted roses using the "Reinker Spread Technique" (aka watercolored roses) and her brayered roses using the Manhattan Flower Impressions Die. And the latter technique was my main inspiration for my creation. I ran the wax paper through my Big Shot using the Manhattan Flower folder, and ironed it between two pieces of glossy cs. I brayered Summer Sun and Regal Rose ink onto the glossy cs, and where the wax transferred to the glossy paper, it resisted the ink.

You can see a few other cards I made while playing with this technique in my SCS gallery, here, and in my new CPCM gallery. CPCM is Christian Paper Crafts Magazine, and their new (5 days old) website is www.cpcmag.com. It is already a great gathering place for Christian paper crafters, and I invite you to check it out. If for some reason you are not able to see my gallery pics because you are not a member, do not hesitate to join--it's free!

Sweet wishes!

No comments: