Monday, September 8, 2008

What in the world is THAT?!?

I have been doing some stamping, but it is for a swap that I am participating in, and I don't want anyone stumbling across the card on here before they receive it through the swap, so I'll post my cards once I receive my set of swaps.

I have been neglecting my blog over the past few days, though, so I felt I should post something. I'm actually posting two somethings, and your job is to figure out what they are. If you are a local and are very familiar with these two items, please don't give it away, but feel free to post clues in the comments if you'd like.

These little beauties were my second agricultural eye-opener since moving here. The first was yellow watermelon. I had never seen or heard of such a thing and thought I had pineapple on my plate until I put it in my mouth. Apparently others in my social circle outside of East Tennessee have at least heard of yellow watermelon, but had failed to clue me in on its existence. So these things in the picture to the left are edible. To put them in proportion, the largest one is about 2 1/2" in diameter. The smallest were 1". Any guesses?

And then there was this visitor that Michael ran into a few weeks ago. Now prior to my blogging days we had other insanely large bug encounters. A Hickory Horned Devil and Rhinoceros Beetle to name a few. This guy was at least 4" tip to tip. He hung around on our screen door the whole day, and when all was said and done, we found out he would have made great fishing bait. Who knew??? (And who'd be baiting my hook? Certainly not me!) Anyone have a clue what he is?

We do know what both of these things are, I'm just testing your IQ, and enlightening you on their existence, so when you put a bite of yellow watermelon in your mouth, you won't think it's pineapple. ;)

Sweet wishes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ack! I was really hoping someone had taken a guess, or even better, knew what the heck those things are! I live in western North Carolina for a year and spent considerable time in the mountains but don't recall seeing anything like either of those. Come on, all you Tennessee folks, what are they???

Anonymous said...

The bug is a Dobson Fly. I would have to research the other. Looks like a sort of Pumpkin.