Thursday, July 3, 2008

KWerner Color Inspiration #14

So far all of my stampin'/craftin' posts have been projects I have designed for specific events ie. a workshop, class, or VBS, but today I stamped for fun and just for the sake of blogging. I've seen other crafters who have made some lovely creations based on color combinations suggested by Kristina over at KWernerDesignBlog. Each week she posts a picture of inspiration piece with the colors to be used in the challenge. I've participated in several SCS challenges, but this is my first blog challenge.


I'm not thrilled with how it turned out. I have been wanting to try a technique called Black Magic that I learned about from Karen Barber at A Stamper's Diary.... Karen has a TON of samples with this technique on her blog, but this was the card that originally piqued my interest. I thought this would be the perfect color combination to use, but apparently the word "Black" in the name "Black Magic" is pretty important because it just doesn't look quite the same on the Basic Gray. :(

In Karen's explanation of the Black Magic technique on her blog, she says to stamp your image (preferably a bold image) with Whisper White craft ink and let it dry or heat set it. Then color the white areas with a pigment based color pencil like Pure Color Pencils or Metallic pencils probably work too. And then add accents with a white gel pen. I'm sure if I do it according to her directions I might have more success. Since the color combination used Ruby Red and River Rock, I knew there weren't Pure Color Pencils in those colors, so I used classic ink with a blender pen to add color to the stamped image. Even though I heat set the white craft ink, it still blended and lightened the colors when I added them. And even muddied the gel pen accents. Oh well, I still love the technique and will try again in the future.

Sweet wishes!

3 comments:

Becky said...

You've created a beautiful card...I love it!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty card!! Great one layer card.

Beth said...

You may not be thrilled, but I think it's WONDERFUL! Nothing looks muddied and the images just "pop" beautifully!